Maple Tempeh with Lime Couscous Salad & Minty Plums
Updated: Jan 21, 2019
This dish was one of the many dishes I got to create while trying out Purple Carrot. If you're not familiar with Purple Carrot, they're a vegan meal company. They offer several plans for you to choose from and then they will ship you ingredients for a fun meal to create at home. Check out their website here.
Here's what you'll need:
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 package of tempe
• 1 garlic clove
• 2 tbsp maple syrup
• 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 tbsp + 1 tsp tamari
• 3/4 cup couscous
• 2 scallions
• 4 oz. asparagus
• 1/4 cup almonds
• fresh mint
• 1 plum
• 2 limes
1. Cut the tempeh into small triangles. Mince the garlic clove and place in a medium bowl. Add the maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, tamari and 1 tsp. olive oil and stir to combine. Add the tempeh triangles to the bowl and toss well to combine. Marinate for 15 minutes, tossing tempeh every so often.
2. Add 3/4 cup water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the couscous and a pinch of salt, cover and turn off heat. Let couscous stand for 10 minutes and move on to step 3.
3. Thinly slice the scallions. Trim about an inch off the bottom of the asparagus. Cut remaining stalks into small 1/4 inch rounds. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the almonds. Cook nuts until fragrant and toasted, about 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer almonds to a large bowl.
4. Fluff cooked couscous with a fork and empty into the large bowl with the nuts. Let cool for 5 minutes while you marinate the plums. Chop the mint leaves. Half the plum, remove the pit and thinly slice. In a medium bowl, combine the mint, sliced plums, and 2 tsp olive oil. To the couscous, add the scallions, asparagus, juice from both limes, and 2 tbsp olive oil. Season couscous with salt and mix.
5. Return the large nonstick skillet to medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Once hot, shake the excess marinade off the tempeh triangles (save the marinade!) and cook until browned on both sides, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Sprinkle with salt and add the reserved marinade. Cook, tossing occasionally, until marinade thickens and glazes the tempeh, about 3 to 5 minutes more.
6. Divide the lime couscous salad between large plates or bowls. Top with maple tempeh and minty plums. Dig in!