Sweet Corn Risotto
Updated: Sep 2, 2018
Out of all the Purple Carrot recipes I've tried, this one was my favorite. It's creamy, flavorful and surprisingly easy to make. If you've never made risotto before, don't worry, this recipe will make sure you learn all the tricks.
Here's what you'll need:
• 1/2 cup dry white wine, optional
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• salt and pepper
• 1 onion
• 1 ear of corn
• 3/4 cup arborio rice
• 1 lemon
• 6 broccolini
• 2 tbsp vegan parmesan (I like Go Veggie brand)
• 1 tbsp vegan butter
• fresh basil
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Add 4 cups water to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Peel and chop the onion. Place a large skillet or pot over medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the husks and silk from the ear of corn and cut off the kernels.
2. Add the Arborio rice to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until glossy, 2 or 3 minutes. If using, add the 1/2 cup white wine, if not, add 1 cup hot water from the saucepan. Stir frequently and let the liquid bubble away until it's almost evaporated.
3. Begin to add the hot water from the saucepan about 1/2 cup and a time, stirring after each addition and frequently throughout the cooking process. Adjust the heat as necessary so the rice bubbles steadily. When the water is just about evaporated, add another 1/2 cup water - the mixture should be neither soupy nor dry.
4. Zest the lemon. Trim 1/2 inch off the broccolini stems. Place on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and toss with 1 tbsp of vegan parmesan, 1 tsp lemon zest and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast int he oven until crisp in places, about 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Add the corn kernels to the risotto and stir. Once all of the water has been added, begin tasting the rice, it should be tender but still have a "bite". It will take between 20 and 25 minutes to reach this stage. Stir in the vegan and season risotto with salt and pepper.
6. Halve the lemon. Finely chop the basil leaves. To serve, divide the sweet corn risotto among shallow bowls and top with the basil, remaining vegan parmesan, and lemon zest. Serve with fresh lemon juice and lemon parmesan broccolini. Enjoy!