Vegan Peach Pie
I'm a big fan of simple recipes - especially dessert recipes. This peach pie has minimal ingredients and the steps are easy to follow. Don't underestimate its simplicity though, the flavors pack a punch.
Makes 1 pie
Here's what you'll need:
•1 Vegan pie crust (I used pre-made to keep it simple)
• 4 cups fresh or frozen peaches
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• 1/3 cup flour
• 3/4 cup cane sugar (plus more for sprinkling)
• 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (plus more for sprinkling)
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 2 tbsp. plain almond milk for brushing
• 1/4 tsp. almond extract
• Slivered almonds (optional)
1. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate with vegan margarine. Roll out half of the dairy-free pie dough, and press into the pie plate. Using your fingers, press to create a crust around the edge. Place the pie plate (uncovered) in the freezer for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 400º F.
3. In a large mixing bowl, place the peaches and toss with the lemon juice and almond extract.
4. In another small bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Toss over the peaches and mix gently until evenly incorporated.
5. After 15 minutes, remove the pie plate from the freezer. Pour the peach mixture into the prepared pie crust. Roll out the remaining dough and fit over the top of the pie, folding the edges under. Using your fingers, flute the edges to seal.
6. Lightly brush the top crust with almond milk and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
7. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat to 350º F and bake for 30 to 35 minutes more. Top with slivered almonds (optional) and let cool. Serve warm or cold.