I wanted to use up some tofu that I had in the fridge but I couldn't decide what the heck to do with it. I decided to make some tofu steaks - they're quick and easy to make and you can serve them with any side(s) you choose. :)
Here's what you'll need tofu steaks:
• 1 block extra firm tofu pressed (firm works also - that's what I had on hand)
• ⅔ cup Liquid Aminos
• Zest from 1 lemon
• 1 lemon juiced
• 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar or Liquid Smoke if you want a smoky flavor
• 2 tsp cane sugar
• 4 TBSP olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed and sliced
• 1 tablespoon dill (Optional)
• 1 tablespoon parsley (Optional)
Directions for the steaks:
1. Preheat the oven to 400º F and lightly grease a baking sheet or oven safe dish with a little olive oil.
2. Press the tofu for 30 minutes to remove the excess water. You can use a tofu presser or if you don't have one wrap a clean towel around the tofu and stack some heavy pots and pans on it or whatever you have on hand. The object isn't to flatten the tofu, just to remove the extra water.
3. Add all the ingredients to the sauce pan (except the herbs if using) stir and bring to a boil. Once at a boil remove from heat and stir in the herbs. Set aside.
4. Once your tofu is pressed, slice it in your desired steak sizes. Gently pat the slices dry with a paper towel.
5. Spoon some of the marinade onto the greased baking sheet or oven safe dish just to cover the bottom. Add the tofu steaks on top and the pour the remaining marinade over the tofu steaks.
6. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes flipping half way through
7. Serve with your choice of side