Red Velvet Cupcakes
Makes about 22 Cupcakes
If your significant other is like me, the way to their heart is through their tummy. So if you’re looking to bake a unique Valentine's Day treat for your sweet look no further than this scrumptious vegan red velvet cupcake recipe. Go ahead & give 'em a go - your sweetheart will thank you!
Here's what you'll need for the cake:
• 2 cups dairy free milk (I like to use almond)
• 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (can use gluten-free if you'd like)
• 2 cups Vegan Fairtrade cane sugar (I use Tate & Lyle)
• 4 Tbsp Fairtrade cocoa powder (such as Green & Blacks)
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp salt
• 2/3 cups oil
• 2 ounces red food coloring *see notes at bottom of recipe*
• 4 tsp Fairtrade vanilla extract (I prefer Nielsen Massey)
1. Preheat oven to 350º
2. Add vinegar to dairy free milk and set aside to curdle.
3. Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a large bowl.
4. Add oil, food coloring & vanilla extract to the curdled milk & mix.
5. Pour liquid ingredients in to dry & mix.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 20 min. or until done.
8. Let cool and top with frosting & vegan sprinkles if using.
Here's what you'll need for the frosting:
• 1/2 cup vegan butter at room temperature (I prefer Earth Balance)
• 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese at room temperature *see notes at bottom of recipe*
• 2 tsp Fairtrade vanilla extract
• 4 cups vegan confectioners sugar (I like to use Wholesome)
• 2 ounces vegan food coloring (optional)
1. Cream butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract & food coloring if using.
* Food coloring can be tricky for vegans. You want to use food coloring that doesn't contain carmine (aka cochineal extract, crimson lake, and natural red 4), which comes from the female cochineal insect. I've been using Color Garden. Another popular choice is Watkins.
* I've tried both Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese & Daiya Cream Cheeze. While both taste great, I've found the Tofutti brand stays firmer like traditional icing.