Vegan Boozy Brownie Cherry Bombs
For my dad's birthday, I decided to make him something special. I typically make him cookies but this year I wanted to try these delicious looking brownie cherry bombs. I saw a non-vegan recipe for them and decided I would tweak a few things and veganize it. I'm happy to report that they are as tasty as they look!
Here's what you'll need:
• 1 8 oz jar of Maraschino Cherries
• 8-16 oz Crown Royal Whisky
• 1 box vegan brownie mix (most are vegan but check the ingredients to be sure).
• 3 Tbsp water
• ½ c oil
• 2 "eggs" (I use ener-g egg replacer but you can also use chia or flax egg if you prefer)
• 1 container of vegan chocolate frosting
• 1 bag of vegan chocolate chips ( I used Equal Exchange)
• Vegan chocolate sprinkles (I used whole foods brand)
For the cherries:
1. Drain and rinse the cherries.
2. Pour the cherries in a small bowl and cover the cherries with whisky. Make sure to cover the tops of the cherries. Allow them to soak overnight or for less potency, you can soak 3-4 hours.
3. Once soaked, remove the cherries and place them on a paper towel to dry.
For the brownies:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x9 baking pan.
2. Follow the directions on the back of the box to prepare the brownie batter replacing the eggs with the vegan eggs.
3. Once the batter is made, pour it into the baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
4. Once the brownies have cooled completely, begin to crumble them into a large bowl.
5. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix in ½ cup of the chocolate frosting. Mix until the brownies start to form a dough.
6. Using a spoon, scoop out some of the dough and roll into a small ball. Push your thumb into the center of the ball to form an indention.
7. Place a cherry inside the indentation and mold the dough around the cherry. Roll it into a ball. Place the dough ball on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and continue the process until all of the batter is gone.
8. Using a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in increments until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
9. Using a fork, dip the brownie balls into the chocolate and roll until fully coated.
10. Place brownie ball onto the cookie sheet and top with chocolate sprinkles.
11. Repeat until all the brownie balls have been dipped in chocolate. Refrigerate to allow the chocolate harden before enjoying.