Collard Green Mexican Burrito
Makes 4 Burritos
Sometimes you have a craving for a certain type of food, but you don't want the junky feeling of heaviness that goes with it. That's how I was feeling this week with my craving for some Mexican style burritos. My solution? Swapping out the tortillas for some collard greens. It may sound weird, but I promise it's actually delicious!
Here's what you'll need:
• 8 Collard green leaves
• 1 Can black beans (drained and rinsed)
• 1 Can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
• 1 Tomato diced
• 4 Ripe avocados
• 1 Onion diced
• 1 Jalapeno diced ( if you want a little heat)
• 1 Lime juiced
• Salt & pepper to taste
• Spice mixture (I used a mixture of chili powder, cumin, cayenne, turmeric, salt & pepper)
1. Wash your collard greens & pat dry. Cut the stems off & set aside.
2. Mix the drained black & pinto beans in a bowl along with your spice mixture. Use flavors that you would use in tacos such as chili powder, cumin & turmeric. Mix together and set aside.
3. Place the avocado flesh, diced onion, jalapeño (if using), lime juice, salt & pepper in a bowl & mash with a fork or potato masher to make some guacamole. Once guac is the consistency you like add some of the diced tomatoes and mix.
4. To Assemble:
Take two leaves and slice off the raised stem ridge on the back of the leaf so that the stem running up the back of the leaf is flush with the leaf itself. Place the leaves side by side but also overlapping a little bit. This will create essentially one large burrito. Scoop some guacamole & spread across the leaves. You can do a decent amount but remember you still have to roll so try not to over stuff. Next, add some of the bean mixture in another layer. Finally top with a few more diced tomatoes. Roll up the leaf completely, folding in the sides as you go & secure the end by spearing
a toothpick through the loose end & the entirety of the roll so that the end of the
toothpick protrudes from the bottom of the roll.
5. Continue the process with the remainder of the leaves & bean/guac mixture.
In addition to burritos, if you have some leftover filling but no leaves you could also make some avocado toast!