Smokey MLT with Zesty Hummus
I signed up for the Forks Over Knives meal plan and it has been a fun adventure. This recipe is one of the meals for this week and I loved it. It's a simple and delicious twist on a BLT. If you've been thinking about trying their meal plan service, I highly recommend it!
Makes about 4 servings
Here's what you'll need:
• 1 1⁄3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
• 1 1⁄3 tablespoons liquid smoke
• 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 4 portobello mushrooms stemmed, gills scraped out & sliced
• 1 (15-oz) can chickpeas drained with liquid reserved, rinsed
• 1⁄3 cup aquafaba (chickpea liquid)
• 1⁄4 cup fresh basil chopped
• 1⁄2 teaspoon chipotle powder
• 8 slices whole-grain bread
• 2 tomatoes sliced
• 4 leaves lettuce
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line rimmed baking pans with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine maple syrup, liquid smoke, and cayenne with 2 tablespoons water.
3. Place portobello slices in a single layer on the prepared pans. Brush with marinade. Bake, brushing with marinade several times, until portobellos are tender and browned, 12 to 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, drain chickpeas, reserving 1⁄3 cup liquid (aquafaba). Rinse chickpeas. In a small bowl, combine chickpeas and aquafaba. Using a fork or a potato masher, mash until nearly smooth. Stir in basil and chipotle powder.
5. Toast bread, then spread with mashed chickpeas. Top with portobello slices, tomatoes, and lettuce leaves. Serve open-faced.