Tofu Egg Salad
Updated: Sep 2, 2018
I was so excited when I figured out how to make a vegan version of egg salad. It was one of those recipes where it seemed so simple but I just couldn't figure out how to get that "eggy" flavor. All of my problems were solved when I discovered an amazing spice called Kala Namak, or Black Salt. This ingredient gives your dish the sulfer-y smell & taste needed for those eggy dishes!
Here's what you'll need:
• 1 block firm tofu - pressed 30 min. (you can buy a tofu press like mine, or wrap in paper towels and put heavy pots or books on top and swap out the paper towels as they fill with water)
• 1 small onion diced
• 1 stalk celery chopped small
• 1/4 cup of vegan mayo (or more depending on how creamy you like it)
• 3 tsp of nutritional yeast (I use bragg live foods)
• 1 tbsp dill
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 1 tsp kala namak (most likely you can find it at any Indian grocery store or amazon)
Press the tofu for 30 minutes. Once pressed, crumble the tofu into a medium bowl with your hands. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Feel free to add more spices to your liking. Use right away or let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Enjoy!